At Andrews’ Endowed Primary school, we have planned our science curriculum with the aim that our children will develop a deep knowledge of the world around them and an understanding of how scientific ideas have played a role in society, to prepare them for life in a scientific and technological world. Our aim is to build a science knowledge base for all our children, regardless of their starting point so that they are inspired to continue to use science in their everyday life, future education and careers.
The National Curriculum 2014 and the Early Years Foundation Stage statutory framework 2017 provide the basis for our science curriculum, which is then tailored to meet the learning and developmental needs of the children in our school.
We will deliver a Science Curriculum that:
- Builds upon prior knowledge and a progression of skills to ensure all children have a secure understanding and knowledge of key science concepts
- Develops creativity and challenges all of our learners through inclusive teaching practice
- Inspires and excites our children through engaging practical sessions which are enriched with visits and visitors
- Encourages our children to be self-motivated, independent, curious and resilient learners by developing inquiry based skills and sessions
- Encompasses outdoor learning to create meaningful experiences within their natural environment
Knowledge organisers will be developed and introduced for teachers and pupils to use for each topic for reference and assessment purposes. This will map out the knowledge, vocabulary and skills needed to master the concepts as well as including suggestions for links to outdoor learning and enquiry-based sessions.